All Saints School is an ancient foundation known to have been in existence in 1676. In 1689, a new School was built and in 1763, the Reverend W. Purcell, the incumbent of Newton, endowed it with £200 for educating the poor. In 1821, the Reverend T. Gaskell, the Rector, set up the Newton Heath Day and Sunday School Trust. From this time, the Sunday School has always met in the School building. In 1829, the School became a National Society School with a Deed of Union, still operative, 'that the Children are instructed in the liturgy and Catechism of the Established Church.' The old School, that stood within living memory in All Saints Street, was built in 1854. In 1947, under the Butler Act of 1944, All Saints became a Voluntary Aided Maintained School associated with Manchester City Council Local Education Authority. The present School building on the site of the old Rectory and part of All Saints Churchyard was opened on 7th September 1964. The School is equipped with a Nursery, Classroom block, dining room, hall and stage. So, for over 300 years, our school has sought to give a good education, based on Christianity, to the Children of Newton Heath.
Laying the Foundation Stone
Councillor Kathleen Ollerenshaw Laid the Foundation Stone on 25th July 1963. This can be seen today opposite our office in the main entrance.
Newton Heath was originally a very small village but grew considerably during the 19th century at the time of the Industrial Revolution and is now a built up district of Manchester.
All Saints Church was originally built around 1556 but it collapsed in 1808. The existing building was consecrated in 1816 and is in late Georgian style. The interior was re-ordered in the 1960's to provide a nave altar.